It’s time to start another challenge. I’ve been thinking about things, trying to figure out what the goals should be this time around. When I first started this back in January I was thinking that each period would have different goals/categories. However I’m now thinkng that each period will just be a continuation of the same basic categories but some will have new or more specific goals. So here goes –
- Declutter – again remove 100 items. I just heard that they may be starting to pick up items again so that could help free up some space and get some stuff I’ve already collected out of the house.
- Budget – Actually I did do a good job of staying on top of recording our expenditures and I’m going to continue that. This time my goal is to see if I can get $500 or more into our liquid emergency fund.
- Read 15 books with 5 coming from the TBR lists. I’m sticking with the same amount because I’m hoping to be spending more time on my last two goals.
- Exercise for 20 minutes at least 5 times a week and walk at least once a week. I really need to put a lot of focus and effort here. It’s been almost two years since I learned that I have arthritis in both hips. Last October I started seeing a physical therapist because I was having trouble. Not pain but discomfort and I was modifying actions to avoid pain and discomfort. We worked together and made some progress but I’ve let things slide and I’m feeling more discomfort again. I need to get back to doing the exercises she prescribed. I also want to get back to walking on a regular basis.
- Spend at least 2 hours per week on my hobbies and that will be split with 1 hour spent in the garden and the other hour on my other hobbies. I would really like to get my granddaughter’s quilt and some garden stones done this time around.
This challenge period starts May 19th and runs till August 26. Anyone care to join me?? Leave me a comment with your goals and I’ll be glad to check on your progress and cheer you on.
There has been a lot of decluttering going on and it’s time to get it recorded.
Items donated so far 18 plus 17=35
- 3 Girl Scout badges
- microscope lens
- plastic tweezers
- storage box for slides
- 2 foam blocks
- package of felting needles
- plastic shopping bag of felt pieces
- gallon size Ziploc bag of yarn scraps
- sandwich size Ziploc bag of thin decorative cord pieces
- 3 hankies
- gift bag
- gift box
Items trashed so far 47 plus 2=49 2 pairs boys pants – stained and holey
Items recycled so far 17
That brings the grand total to 105! so goal met but the efforts will continue. Have you been doing any decluttering now that most of us are sheltering in place?
It has been awhile since I posted what I’ve been decluttering so here goes
Items trashed – total of 35
- 3 boy’s tees – stained, holey
- 3 baby items also stained and/or holey
- 10 quilt pattern/instructions torn from magazines – I’ll probably never have the skill or time to do them, so out they go
- guest book from my mom’s funeral- neither my sister or I feel the need to keep it
- bag of confectioner’s sugar that expired in 2016
- bag of farro risotto that expired 2018
- guest book from my grandfather’s funeral – see above
- broken mini umbrella
- binder that was coming apart
- 11 candle stubs
- candle holder made by my son -had been keeping because he made it but it didn’t actually work as a candle holder so out it went
- moth eaten felt crown made by daughter
Items recycled – 17
- 1 travel magazine with pictures torn out
- year’s worth of payroll reports that I do not need to keep anymore
- 10 dead batteries
- 5 cards from my hubby
Items donated – 16
- 4 photo frames
- 1 quilt pattern I bought but now know I will never make – way too many little pieces
- 2 guest books
- 1 wooden puzzle
- 2 queen size flat sheets
- 1 photo album
- 1 oven mitt with a Christmas design- just uncomfortable to use
- 2 books to my church library
- 1 skating medal my daughter doesn’t want
- 1 silver tree decoration
Other – 4 My daughter took a school bus photo album to use as her daughter grows. She also took three calendars that we had used as a daily journal when she was younger.
That makes 72 plus the original 14 gives me a total of 86. Feeling pretty sure that I will reach my goal of 100 by the end of this challenge. Are you decluttering? How is it going for you? Leave a comment and let me know
Years ago I started scrapbooking because my sister in laws were doing it. We got together a couple of times and I made two scrapbooks for my daughter. I collected a lot of photos and mementos through the years but once my son came along there never seemed to be time to do anything with all the stuff I collected.
Now I’m going through the boxes and trying to decide what is worth saving and what isn’t. There are a lot of good memories and some things I had forgotten about in these boxes. There are things I want to save even if I don’t decide to put them in scrapbooks. However there is a lot of stuff that I’m going to toss. I can’t decide if it is horrible or okay that I’m considering throwing away photos of my nieces and nephews along with things that my kids have made for me.
So anyway, the challenge update of this post is that this week I’ve done some decluttering and spent some time on a hobby that I’m trying to decide if I’m going to continue or let go of.
What have you been up to lately? Are you making progress with your goals? Leave a comment and let me know.
Total from January through March 215 items gone
So, even though I haven’t been updating I have been faithfully decluttering. I’m just going to give the totals for each category rather than list each item individually.
46 items tossed in the trash
43 books to be read removed from my list
29 items given away
4 items recycled
129+ items sold I forgot to count how many vcr tapes I took to Half Price Books I know there were at least 30 probably more
That brings the grand total up to 466 items!! I met my goal for the year but I’m going to continue and shoot for 100+ for the last hundred days of the year. Which will get me over 500 by the end of the year.
I am rolling along on this goal – total of 78 for this month’s activities. Will easily make my goal of 300 – thinking I should shoot for 500.
Here’s how it went –
Trash – 25
1 hotel room keycard from a vacation years ago 1 hot hands packet that expired 7/15 1 glue on fingernail tip 1 pie crust expiration date 12/15 1 bottle of ginger – don’t know how old but it no longer has any scent 1 fitness tracker notebook-partially used 1 broken VHS rewinder 1 dried up marker 1 lid for a marker saved in case we lost a lid and needed to replace one but now can’t find any markers that it would fit 2 dried up pens 12 packets of expired seeds from 2011 3 plant info tags for plants I killed
Gave Away – 22
2 checkbook covers 1 tree wrap 4 plastic tubes that florists use to keep the stems from bending 1 decorative pin 1 package of silicone food savers 1 box of activated charcoal toothpaste 1 spaghetti scrubber 1 lunchskins brand sandwich bag 1 lunchskins brand snack bag 1 ice pack- we have more ice packs than any one family needs 1 package of bee’s wrap 1 bamboo cutting board I already have 3 plus 2 wooden cutting boards 1 package of “Fresh paper” 1 stasher – silicone storage bag 1 veggie brush 1 container of deodorant cream 1 small glass water bottle – again we have more water bottles than one family needs 1 silicone to go cup
Removed – 14 5 computer folders of articles, blogs, etc with links that no longer work or items that I am no longer interested in 9 places to visit off my travel bucket list because of lack of interest, money and/or time
Recycled – 17
1 empty contact lens cleaner bottle 14 manuals for items my kids no longer have 1 book of deposit slips for a bank that no longer exists 1 book of checks for a bank that no longer exists